July 14, 2010

Kalajoki Socks





This is what I've done so far. Turned the heels, and have started working back and forth on the first slip stitch heel. The foot took 1.5 pattern repeats for my mom's petite feet. The last two photos give the truest color definition, but the first two give you a better look at the stitch pattern.

Pattern: chart from Kalajoki by Tiina Seppälä, using Wendy Johnson's Basic Toe Up with Slip Stitch Heel

Yarn:Rio De La Plata:Sock Solid in SS15-Medieval Blue

Needle Size::Addi Lace in US 0 (2.0 mm)

Thoughts: I really like the pattern, it's very watery and fluid, and even though I am using a yarn that really couldn't do much in the way of stitch definition due to its darker color. The color is more of a Navy, unlike the color shown on the website. The pattern is easy to follow (Wendy Johnson's) and the chart is great. The reason that I am not using the Kalajoki pattern in its entirety is because my mother is the one who requested the socks, and she has a better fit with the slip stitch heel. The Kalajoki pattern is easy to follow, and if you use the entire pattern, you also get the opportunity to do "anatomical toes" which means the toes are actually shaped according to which foot the sock goes on. Also, the river stitch pattern is mirrored, so they both sit slightly on the outside of the foot. All in all, it's very pretty, even with a darker yarn.

1 comment:

  1. I really like that yarn! I love blue! :)
    Pretty pattern too!

    ReplyDelete