July 7, 2010

yarnsalad WIP#1



From the Melissa Morgan-Oakes book 2-at-a-Time Socks book, I'm using the Belle Epoque pattern. Gaia's Colours Pales Superwash Merino sock in the colorway 'Folta'. I'm getting about an inch done per day.

One way I have found to keep track of which is sock #1 and which is #2 is to tie knots in the tail - one knot in sock 1, two knots in sock 2.

I really like knitting with this yarn but the dye comes off on my hands when I'm knitting with it. I hear this happens with indie dyers sometimes.

I also worried that the pattern of the sock would get lost in the colour variation of the yarn - something I hadn't considered when I first put yarn, needles, and pattern together, because the yarn isn't that variegated. But I think I'm going to like this when it's all done.

I only started knitting socks about a year and a half ago. I bought the aforementioned book and have knit more than half the patterns in it, some of them twice. I feel like I really have a handle now on the two-at-a-time technique with the heel flap.

Just last night I finished a pair of socks that were my first toe-up sock with short-row shaping. I started that months ago so I won't include it here, but be sure to check on my personal blog for that story.

2 comments: